- Choose cauliflower with a heavy compact curd (head). There may be light green leaves covering part of the curd or the leaves may have been trimmed and the cauliflower wrapped in plastic.
- Avoid heads with brown spots or loose sections of curd that are spread out.
- Fresh cauliflower is generally available year round. It is often cheaper and fresher when harvested locally, usually late summer or fall.
- Frozen cauliflower is also available and may be a better buy at some times of the year.
- A medium-sized head of cauliflower is about 6 inches across, weighs about 2 pounds and makes 4 to 6 servings after trimming off the leaves and stem.
★ Cauliflower is very high in vitamin C, which helps the body fight infections.