Potato Turnip Gratin
Cooking for a crowd?
1⁄2 cuponion, finely diced
1 Tablespoonbutter or margarine
1⁄2 teaspoongarlic powder
1 1⁄3 cupsnonfat or 1% milk
2 1⁄3 cupspotatoes, sliced thinly
1 cupturnips, sliced thinly
1⁄4 cupgrated parmesan cheese
4 teaspoonsbutter or margarine
2 Tablespoonsdry bread crumbs
- In a saucepan over medium heat, sauté onions in 1 Tablespoon margarine until softened.
- Stir in salt, garlic powder, pepper, and flour until smooth. Add milk slowly, stirring rapidly to avoid lumps. Stir constantly until the sauce bubbles and thickens slightly. Remove from heat .
- Place mixed potatoes and turnips in layers in a lightly oiled or sprayed baking dish.
- Pour sauce over the potato mixture; sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Melt 2 teaspoons butter; mix with the dry bread crumbs and sprinkle evenly over top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes or until the sauce is bubbling and the bread crumbs have browned. Potatoes and turnips should be tender when poked with a fork.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
Last updated: 06/09/17