Lentil Taco Filling
1⁄2 cupchopped onion
1⁄2 cupchopped bell pepper (any color)
1⁄4 teaspoongarlic powder or 1 clove garlic, minced
1⁄2 cupdried lentils, rinsed
4 1⁄2 teaspoonschili powder
1 teaspoonground cumin
1⁄2 teaspoondried cilantro or oregano (optional)
1 1⁄4 cupsbroth, any flavor
- In a large skillet, sauté the onion, bell pepper and garlic in oil until tender, about 3 minutes.
- Add the lentils, chili powder, cumin and cilantro/oregano (if using). Cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Add broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until the lentils are tender, 20 to 30 minutes for brown lentils, Add water if necessary to keep the lentils just covered with liquid.
- Uncover; cook until mixture thickens and most of the water is gone, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Use for tacos, wraps or salad.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
Last updated: 09/12/18