|Prep time: 10 minutes||Cooking time: 30 minutes||Total time: 40 minutes|
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon ginger, fresh or 1/2 teaspoon ground
1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
2 cups mixed vegetables, chopped (try cauliflower, peppers, carrots or peas)
1 large baking potato, peeled and diced
1 cup white rice, uncooked
1⁄2 teaspoon salt (optional)
1 can (15.5 ounces) kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat (300 degrees in an electric skillet).
- Add onion, ginger, turmeric, and cumin, and stir while cooking for 1 minute.
- Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat.
- Simmer 20-25 minutes. Serve hot.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- For a flavor boost, cook ½ cup raisins or diced apples with the vegetables.
- Try using brown rice instead of white, and increase the simmering time to 45 minutes.
Cook your own dry beans. One can (15 ounces) is about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups drained beans.
- fruit cocktail
- a glass of low-fat milk
Tab 1 Content (Tips or Involve Kids):
Tab 2 Content (Recipe Categories):