- Try corn tortillas instead of whole wheat flour tortillas.
- Serve enchiladas with your favorite hot sauce or salsa.
- Cook your own dry beans. One can (15 ounces) is about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups drained beans.
- 1 cup corn (canned and drained, frozen, or fresh cooked).
Make your own enchilada sauce!
¼ cup tomato paste
¼ cup flour
2 teaspoons cumin
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon onion powder
¼ teaspoon chili powder
1/8 teaspoon pepper
3 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- Combine tomato paste, flour, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder and pepper in a saucepan and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 6 to 8 minutes, or until slightly thickened.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.