|Prep time: 15 minutes||Cooking time: 20 minutes||Total time: 35 minutes|
1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1⁄3 cup nonfat or 1% milk
1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly coat the bottom of 12 muffin cups with oil or baking spray.
- Mix the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, blend vegetable oil, egg, milk and applesauce until smooth. Stir the liquid ingredients into the flour mixture until just moistened. Lightly stir in the blueberries.
- Fill each muffin cup about 3/4 full.
- Bake about 20 minutes, or until the muffin tops are golden brown. A toothpick inserted into the center of the muffin should come out moist but without batter.
- To avoid rancid whole wheat flour, store it in a container or bag that keeps the air sealed out. Keep in a cool dark area for up to 3 months or in the freezer for up to 6 months. Buy amounts that you can use within those lengths of time.
- To use sweetened applesauce, remove about 1 1/2 teaspoons of sugar from the measured amount.
Tab 1 Content (Tips or Involve Kids):
Tab 2 Content (Recipe Categories):